Friday 9 January 2015

Out of the Cave

Greetings again from the darkness. First of all, I wish you all a happy and exciting new year. 2015 will be a year of change and ambitious undertakings. Personally, I'm off to a flying start. Batteries recharged after the Xmas break, I am now tackling the search for novel representation in full swing. For the past few days I've been contacting literary agents in London. They tend to more or less ask for the same thing: a good cover letter, a proper synopsis, and an excerpt from the novel's manuscript (anything between the first 10 pages to more than 50). So, I am casting the net wide and will hopefully reap some results in the weeks to come.

Now it's a game of patience. The wait can be short (I've already received one rejection); it can be long (most literary agents need 6-8 weeks before getting back to you); or in some cases it can be endless as you may never get a reply. It's an exciting time nonetheless. The full manuscript of 'The Perfectionist' has been read by three people so far, but these people are close to me. Now I'm sharing a part of the content with professionals. The pressure is somewhat different, heightened even. Needless to say, the next several weeks mark a critical milestone in my journey as a writer.

So a lot of nervous finger tapping in store for 2015. Hopefully some of it will translate into some further productive writing... talking of which, today I have a draft blueprint of novel n°3 in my mind and tentatively sketched down on a piece of paper. I'm not sure when I'll start writing seriously on this and beefing it up. Neither do I know if this is the one big idea I will commit myself to pursuing relentlessly for the months to come, but I've got a feeling deep down that these rough notes may lead to more magical moments of creativity. I hope to have more news soon, but for now back to my writer's cave.

No comments:

Post a Comment